Magazines and Journals
THE TRUTH ABOUT THE FACT
International Journal of Literary Nonfiction
INTERNATIONAL CALL FOR SUBMISSION
Literary nonfiction essay, memoir, commentary
Literary nonfiction narrative poetry
Black & white art and photography
Submission Deadline December 31, 2012
Submit via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published by Loyola Marymount University
St. Petersburg Review: Speaking the Same Language through Literature
St. Petersburg Review is an annual independent international review of contemporary literature that seeks to support global connections and affinities through publishing quality fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and drama from writers of all countries.
Unsolicited submissions of fiction, poetry, essays, and plays will be accepted September 1 through January 15 of each year. We are not responsible for manuscripts not submitted between these dates. Please use our online submissions manager (link below) for ALL electronic submissions. SPR will not be able to answer individual requests for information about submission status other than through its online submission manager.
We accept simultaneous submissions if notified immediately when your work is accepted elsewhere. We request that unsolicited submissions be submitted separately by genre and follow the following guidelines: poetry (up to 4 poems); fiction (7,500 words or less); essays or creative nonfiction (7,500 words or less); and plays (30 pages or less). Our preference is to receive single-spaced texts in “Times” 12-point plain text (no headers or footers). We strive to respond by July 1 of each year. A one-time per issue honorarium is paid to writers and translators.
WAYLINES: SPECULATIVE FICTION
Call for Submissions Worldwide: Waylines Magazine (genre fiction | honorarium: $40 per story)
Waylines publishes original speculative fiction — from science fiction to fantasy, from the wonderful to the weird (and all the way to the weirdly wonderful). And we show short films! So what do we want? Well, what we don’t want is to nail it down to a pre-configured formula. We want stories that elevate, celebrate and enrich the diversity of the genres. Stories that excite us, that challenge us, that surprise us. Because in the end, that’s what we want Waylines to do for you.
In addition, we prize diversity. We want it reflected in Waylines. So it is our pleasure to welcome submissions from writers of every race, gender, nationality, and sexual orientation. If you write, and like speculative fiction, we will give your story a fair read.
- Word limit: 1000-7500 words (preferred length is around 5000)
- Pay rate: $40 flat-rate per story. This may change based on the success of our KICKSTARTER campaign.
- Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, the Weird, the Wonderful
- Language: English
- Rights: We claim first world electronic rights (text) and first print rights. Please view our contract template if you want to know more details.
- Response time: 30 days. We intend to reply to every submission in a timely manner but if you have not received a response within this window, please send us an email to email@example.com with the word QUERY followed by the story title in the subject line.
Please put the Story Title in the subject line, and the Author Name, Story Title and Word Count in your cover letter. Please keep cover letters short and concise and attach your story via attachment. We only accept stories in Word .doc, .docx, Rich Text Format .rtf, and Open Office .odt formats. Any other format will be deleted unread.
THINGS WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
- We do not accept simultaneous or multiple submissions.
- Poetry. Not because we don’t like it, we just don’t publish it
- Media tie-ins or fan fiction. Think Star Trek, Dr. Who, Buffy, etc.
- While Waylines is happy to explore themes of sexuality, please take note that we are not a market for er0tica.
- Horror stories that just go for the pure gross out.
- Translations. At the moment, we are only looking for original works written in the English language.
For queries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kwani?, is a journal founded by some of Kenya’s most exciting new writers and has 6 print editions to date, each containing more than 300 pages of new journalism, fiction, experimental writing, poetry, cartoons, photographs, cutting edge academic papers, ideas, literary travel writing & creative non-fiction.
Our editorial panel usually has two reading periods each year. If you would like to contribute, please follow these guidelines:
- We prefer email (*doc) or in Rich Text Format (*rtf) instead of pasting it into the body of the email
- Use double spacing and Times New Romans font, size 12 on a plain white background (no colour please)
- The document should be paginated and have left and right margins of at leas 1″ (One inch)
- We do not consider unsolicited photography or artwork.
Other magazines and journals to consider:
Bomb is a quarterly magazine edited by artists and writers.
Callaloo is a literary and cultural journal of the African Diaspora.
SABLE LitMag … is a black and white cultural publication for writers of colour to showcase their work in any genre.
Wasafiri is a literary magazine at the forefront in mapping new landscapes in contemporary international literature today.